Published on November 8th, 2013 | by Rusty Bulloch1
Fatherhood Advice from Rusty Bulloch
Editor’s Note: We’re honored and humbled to have Rusty Bulloch, from Uplifting Entertainment’s hit reality series Bulloch Family Ranch, share some advice on fatherhood. Rusty and his wife, Julie, operate their family ranch where they bring in troubled teens to teach them how to live right and give them a second chance at making their lives successful. The second season of their television show premieres in 2014. For more information on the show, click here. You can also follow them on Facebook.
These are a few tips I have learned after a lot of mistakes – 18 years and over 30 kids have given me plenty of opportunities to practice. Much like coaching football: we make mistakes in practice, but we correct them as we go. The only stupid mistake is the one from which we do not learn something.
1) Raise up your children in a Christian, Godly environment. Lead by example and live a sermon every day.
2) RAISE your children! It is easier to go golfing, fishing, etc. But the rewards of taking part in and raising your children are a million times better.
3) One thing you can not ever give enough of or ever get back is TIME. Play chase or hide-and-seek with your little ones…they will never forget those times.
4) Do not be afraid to admit when you are wrong. By admitting you are wrong you will show them that you are human and make mistakes, but you also teach them accountability by taking responsibility.
5) Teach your kids that nothing in life is free. Instill in your children that to get ahead in life they will need to work hard and not to expect anything to be given to them. We, as parents, tend to spoil our children and try to ‘buy’ their love. Give your children a job to do instead of readily handing out money – washing the car and cleaning the yard together will also create opportunities to spend time together.
6) Do not give empty threats on discipline or correction. If you give an ultimatum, stick to it.
7) Treat your wife the way you want a guy to treat your daughter. This will show your son how to treat a woman and your daughter what to expect.
8) Sit down and have dinner as a family. Turn off electronics, TV and anything that takes attention away from conversation. You will get to know your children better if you know what they do everyday and they will begin to look forward to dinner time.
9) Be active in your child’s life. Know their friends, where they are, what websites they are visiting online. Everything is available on smart phones – know how they are using their phones. This is not being nosy, it is being a responsible parent.
10) Be a ‘Daddy’, not just a father. You can be a father just by having a child, but it takes a special man to be a Daddy!
– Rusty Bulloch